Thursday 25 March 2010

On Monday afternoon I journeyed to Killingworth once more - this is definitely my favourite pool.

My aim was 130 lengths, as I knew this would take me to 14 miles. It would also be the furthest I have ever swum!

Things got off to a good start, but soon the children were arriving (I always forget how early the schools finish!). There were 2 lanes but I was in neither due to lessons taking place, so the large leftover space quickly settled into half for adults swimming lengths and the rest for children messing around. Until... girl + father arrived and proceeded to wander around amongst the sensible length swimmers! At one point I was treading water next to this man for a full minute as he had his head half under the water and didn't see me. He was just standing there. He kept coming up for air and looking around but somehow not seeing me. I couldn't go round him because of other swimmers on one side and his daughter flailing about on the other. When he eventually spotted me he did an amazing comedy jump and splash - I must have terrified him! He did at least have the decency to apologise and move himself and child out of the way.

Both lanes emptied after I'd done the first mile so I moved into the nearest one. I was quickly followed by 4 of the slowest breaststroke swimmers I have ever encountered - with astoundingly dry hair, and probably quite severe neck ache - so I moved over again, and had a whole lane to myself until I hit 130. Can't believe I made it!

No comments:

Post a Comment